Transport for Greater Manchester (“TfGM”, and references to “we”, “our” and “us” shall be construed accordingly) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy (together with any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting www.getmethere.co.uk (our “site”), using the get me there mobile ticketing application (the “App”), or otherwise using our services or providing us with information in connection with TfGM’s get me there smart ticketing scheme, then save where we request that you provide your express consent, you are accepting and consenting to collection, use and disclosure of your personal data in accordance with the terms of this policy.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is: Transport for Greater Manchester of 2 Piccadilly Place, Manchester M1 3BG.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or within the App, or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when (without limitation) you register to use our site or the App, subscribe to our service (whether via our site, the App or otherwise), place an order on our site or the App, and when you report a problem with our site or the App. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site or the App (as appropriate) we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site or the App. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, Greater Manchester Travelcards Limited, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give us. We will use this information:
- to carry out research and evaluation work to improve the services we provide;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- (subject to your express consent being given) to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- (subject to your express consent being given) to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you;
- to notify you about changes to our services in respect of which you are already a customer; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site or the App about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- We may contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) on operational matters (including changes to our services) in connection with goods or services you have previously bought from us. We will only contact you by electronic means on marketing matters, in connection with those same goods and services, if you have consented to receiving marketing information in this way. If you want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the forms or other documents (as appropriate) on which we collect your personal data
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and the App, and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site and the App, to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site and the App safe and secure; and
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and (subject to your express consent being given) to deliver relevant advertising to you.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may share information relating to you with selected third parties (with your consent, where required), including (without limitation):
- Greater Manchester Travelcards Limited (“GMTL”) and operators of bus services in Greater Manchester which are shareholders in GMTL (“Bus Operators”). Other than as provided below, we do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to GMTL or the Bus Operators, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our customers (for example, we may inform them that 500 passengers used a particular bus route on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help GMTL and the Bus Operators reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, all users of the bus route from Bury to Manchester City Centre).
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site and the App.
We may disclose your personal data to third parties:
- in the event that we transfer, sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of TfGM, GMTL, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection; or
- where you have consented to us sharing your personal data with third parties (including, without limitation, GMTL).
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site or the App, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site or the App; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by not checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time, if you have previously given consent, by contacting us at Transport for Greater Manchester, 2 Piccadilly Place, Manchester M1 3BG OR firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our site and the App may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act, and requires you to request access in writing. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.